Location Matangi Island
The Fiji Islands is an archipelago in the South Pacific Ocean, situated on the 180˚ Meridian, in the Tropic of Capricorn, 18˚ South of the Equator; Fiji is part of the Oceanic group of islands, which are mostly volcanic in origin with large fringing tropical coral reef systems.
Fiji is on the airline route from the USA to Australia and New Zealand. Approximate distance between Fiji and:
- Auckland 1316 miles or 2117 kilometres
- Brisbane 1737 miles or 2795 kilometres
- Frankfurt 10148 miles or 16332 kilometres
- London 10123 miles or 16292 kilometres
- Los Angeles 5502 miles or 8855 kilometres
- Melbourne 2429 miles or 3909 kilometres
- New York 7932 miles or 12765 kilometres
- Paris 10295 miles or 16568 kilometres
- Rome 10593 miles or 17048 kilometres
- Sydney 1998 miles or 3215 kilometres
- Tokyo 4494 miles or 7232 kilometres
- Vancouver 5867 miles or 9442 kilometres
Fiji’s international carrier, Air Pacific, offers regular flights between Fiji and Los Angeles as well as Hong Kong, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Auckland and Christchurch. Virgin Australia also offers regular flights between Fiji and all major cities in Australia and New Zealand. Korean Airlines offers a direct service from Incheon.
Fiji’s international airport is situated in the town of Nadi, on the Western Coast of Viti Levu. Access to outer islands like Matangi require additional but short transfers by air and sea. Matangi Island’s neighbour, Taveuni Island, is serviced by Pacific Sun, with regularly scheduled flights from Nadi and Suva; the two major international airports in Fiji. There are daily services with a flight time of approximately 90-minutes from Nadi or 60-minutes from Suva.
Domestic flights are a grand opportunity to view the majestic islands of Fiji, and the extensive coral reef systems that surround them. You may want to have your camera handy for a few aerial photos.
A mini-bus will meet you at Taveuni Island’s Matei Airport, and will take you on a scenic 20-minute drive to the boat landing, where our transfer boat will meet you. This is a wet landing, so please be prepared to wade to the boat. The water taxi takes about 20-minutes to get to Matangi Private Island Resort.
Round trip car and boat transfer charge US$150 + 20% tax per person